by Sandra Stringer
Hello everyone! Your intrepid Editor here, calling on all of you who can make sentences and take photographs to write for the Bugle. It doesn’t matter if you write just one article or twenty, we need you!
For those of you who are new to our scene, The James Island Bugle is a zero profit news and information website. We don’t advertise, so we don’t have any revenue to pay writers (or have a hard copy edition). Because of this, we rely on James Islanders to step up to the bar and write.
Because we don’t have revenue, we can’t provide you with money that you might need to do any of the possible writing scenarios below. You’d have to really be into the topic and have enough money and time to do the information gathering for your story.
You could write weekly or monthly or every two months or just once. There’s a lot of flexibility here!
What could you write about?
This is my latest list of things I’d love to see covered in the Bugle – keeping in mind that taking photos for the article is required for all articles, although we’ll be able to send a photographer out if that’s not something you can do:
- Series on the churches on James Island. By my count, we have 21(!) churches on James Island. What I’m looking for is for people who attend these churches to do a write up on their church. You would gather information such as history of the church, location, times of services, special annual events, current leader of the church (pastor, priest, reverend, etc.) and background on that person. Please make sure to let us know if you want to cover a particular church so that if someone else asks, I can tell them it’s already being covered!
- Sports. We need someone, or several someones, to write about James Island Sports. This could be as granular as covering one particular sports team at the James Island Charter High School or you could cover sports for the entire school or for the entirety of James Island.
- Politics. We need someone to write up every weekend a review of the Town of James Island Events coming up in the following week. If you want to get more ambitious, you can actually cover the meetings (without editorializing).
- Performance Arts. We need someone to cover musical and theatrical events, including movies, plays, bands, etc. This would entail attending an event and then writing about the experience. Or, if you have just one event you want to do an article on (that we haven’t covered in the past year), you can do that!
- Business Spotlight. Pick a business every week. Learn the history of the place, what they do, etc. Or, if you have just one business you want to do an article on (that we haven’t covered in the past year), you can do that!
- Food Focus. Do you go out to eat a lot? This is the assignment for you! You would go to a restaurant, have a meal, write about the food and the location, and either interview directly or do an email interview with the chef and/or owner. Or, if you have just one restaurant you want to do an article on (that we haven’t covered in the past year), you can do that! Also, if we already have an article on a restaurant, that doesn’t mean you can’t do an article on the same restaurant. Different folks, different experiences!
- Bar Hopper. This would require visiting a different bar for each article. You would interview directly or do an email interview with the chef and/or owner. Or, if you have just one bar you want to do an article on (that we haven’t covered in the past year), you can do that!
- Extracurricular Education. Whether it be dance, karate, art, acting, climbing…there’s lot of extracurricular education happening on James Island.
- Other stuff. Do you have a good topic in mind? Is it about James Island?
If you’re interesting in doing any of these, email me at email@example.com and we’ll “talk”!